Rachel Stafford joins me for Episode 58. You may know her as the Hands Free Mama. She is is a wife and mother to girls, special ed teacher, blogger and New York Times best-selling author. When I started the podcast, Rachel was at the top of the list to people to invite to the kitchen table. I have been reading her blog for years and she has unknowingly been instrumental in helping me be a better mother.
Our conversation is one of my favorite episodes. I can't tell you how many notes I took and moments of just enlightenment that I experienced. I relate so well to Rachel and I'm thankful for her insight and encouragement. We talk about how to choose love today, how to let go of control and expectations and how failing is not as bad as we think.
- Hands Free Mama blog post about being a bully
- Rachel's books: Hands Free Mama; Hands Free Life; Only Love Today
- Hands Free Revolution FB page
- Sandy Blackard's The Language of Listening
- Ingrid Michaelson's music
- Little Tiny Notebooks (these are my favorites and these are cute)
- Her necklace that says, "I FEEL IT ALL"
(amazon affiliate links used when possible)
Takeaways From Our Conversation:
- I really liked the phrases that she used for herself and her kids. Phrases like "Be kind to yourself," and "We all make mistakes." I have been using those since we recorded. Sometimes you just need someone to tell you exactly what to say. The other one is "Only love today." I can't tell you how many times I have looked in the mirror and my first thought was something negative, but then I chose to say "only love today" and "be kind to yourself." I do believe that those words have the power to retrain our mind.
- How do I retrain the negative voice in my head? It starts by what you tell yourself. @@Change the way you speak to yourself. Choose to believe the best in yourself@@.
- What does love require? What if we simply approached life, relationships, encounters, conflicts with that simple phrase?
- Surrender. I want to start looking at each moment and see if this this a moment where I need to surrender. I am learning to let go. It's a tension we must learn how to manage. When it comes to my kids, I ask myself: Is this a parenting issue or a personal issue?
- "@@When you are making mistakes, you are living and trying! It is enough. It is time to love yourself AS IS@@. Live boldly, bravely and full of hope." @@We need to let kids learn how to fail now so that they will be okay with failing later@@.
- We must retrain ourselves and our kids that problems aren't bad. We just need to figure out how to solve them.
- I'm going to take myself out of the running of being the best. Take the pressure off of trying to be the best. @@Do your best but you don't have to be the best@@.
A big thank you to Surviving Sarah sponsor, Flourish + Co. Are you a mom who thought she'd find her purpose in motherhood and didn't? Are you a woman who at the end of the day is really just feeling unfulfilled and unsure of what the next best steps are for you in life? Are you one of the 60% of women who doesn't know her purpose?
Then, friends, please know that there is no shame--only celebration in recognizing this and do yourself and those around you a favor and contact Katie Crocombe the founder of Flourish + Co. She is a professional life coach and will partner with you to uncover your unique purpose, help you set grace-filled goals, hold you accountable, challenge you and help you say no to just good so you can say yes to the best.
Just for Surviving Sarah listeners, she is offering 10% off all coaching packages that are booked in 2017 and if you book before Feb 28, then you receive an additional $100 off the purchase. Click on the image below and it will take you directly to her contact page--mention the show and she'll take it from there!
Thank you for following along life with me. I love being apart of your day. And as always, I hope this show helps you survive a little easier.
A new episode every Tuesday... just subscribe.
Subscribe for free on iTunes or Stitcher or your favorite podcast app so that you don't miss out on great conversations with women just like you. Women who are surviving and thriving. You don't have to do life alone. Be inspired, encouraged and entertained by women like Sandra Stanley, Shannan Martin, Jamie B. Golden, Mo Isom, Annie F. Downs, Joni Lay from Lay Baby Lay, Christy Nockels and many more.
Did you enjoy today's conversation? Rate the podcast.
My goal each week is to encourage you to survive in this very thing called life. If you were encouraged or inspired or entertained, head over to iTunes and leave a brief review with a 5 star rating.
Here is a recent one from AJ in VA: "I have recently discovered the podcast and have enjoyed listening to all the episodes and learning about the different guests while at work (desktop on the computer all day. I listen to the show via ipod). It has given me a faith boost by the 'hanging with the girlfriends' atmosphere that makes me feel like I am a part of the conversation. Keep up the good work, looking forward to future episodes."
Your review will help get the podcast in front of new listeners who are just like you looking to know that they aren't alone in life. Thank you for being awesome!